Thursday, September 7, 2017

August 2017

When I first decided to attend Tulane, the major concern I had was the potential for tropical storms and hurricanes. Coming from Maryland, these storms were distant problems and had a minimal impact on my life. With this in mind, it is ironic that I would travel to the city to search for an apartment in a tropical storm. Until people called from back home and told me it was a tropical storm, I just assumed I was very unlucky with the weather. Nonetheless, I managed to find an apartment, and begin my life in New Orleans.

Since that rainy visit, much has changed. Yes, the threat of severe weather looms, but more importantly I feel I have made great progress in the Pharmacology course. The highlight of the course so far for me has been the cardiovascular simulation. In a simulated emergency room, we got to see how a patient with cardiac complications would be treated. Being able to see the drugs we learned in action was very helpful, and a great way to learn the material. While learning so much material can be challenging, mastering the material is very rewarding. 

I am still getting used to the city, but so far it has been a blast. I occasionally take a wrong turn and get lost driving around town, but in a way getting lost is the best way to explore a new place. I have found a few good food spots, and I am sure there are many more waiting to be discovered. I am also looking forward to the volunteer opportunities in the city, and am excited about playing a role in contributing to the well-being of the community. Everybody that I have met are very friendly and genuinely good people, and hopefully I can make some lifelong friends by the end of this program. Until next time, thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day.

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment