Thursday, November 30, 2017

November 2017

The semester is drawing to an end, and the weather cools with each passing day. The climate is very pleasant this time of year, and I am beginning to wonder if winter will ever come to New Orleans. Classes are going well, and we are moving onto the brain and behavior block, for which I am very excited. As I am writing this, I am relaxing after another long day of work on a Habitat for Humanity build site. Today I was tasked with completing a staircase, building a stand for the AC unit, installing the remainder floorboards and quarter rounds, and helping a group of high-school students dig out the driveway and front walk. Also, the stove and refrigerator came today. This was the first house I have worked on that was in such a complete state. Previously I had mostly been helping on houses that were still in their inception. It was a treat to see the nearly finished product, with the counter-tops, cabinets and appliances installed. The homes that we work on turn out to be surprisingly high quality, given that countless untrained volunteers are the ones constructing the house. I believe this result can be attributed to the care and effort volunteers work with, and it is a service to which I am proud to belong. Furthermore, these builds are making me feel more like a part of this community, a community that I have enjoyed serving.




Volunteer hours: 8
Total hours: 24

No comments:

Post a Comment